209.8 million top-level domain names on the Internet.1
- 15.3 million new domain names were registered in 2010 – a 7.9 percent increase from 2009, and 2.2 percent over the first quarter of 2011.1
- The most popular domain name extensions, in order, are .com, .de, .net, .uk, .org, .info, .nl, .eu, .cn, and .ru, which accounted for 61 percent of all new registrations.1
- Out of 107.3 million .com and .net domains that are registered, 21 percent were one page websites [editor’s note: likely parking pages], 67 percent were multi-page websites, and 12% were parked domains, and an estimated 88 percent resolved to a valid website.1
- The most expensive internet domain name was sold for $13 million (£8.2 million) by Escom LLC to Clover Holdings Ltd on 17 November 2010.2
- Top domain name sales by week, and sales year-to-date.3
- The most expensive domain name sales on record.
Domain Name Facts Sources:
1. Verisign Quarterly Report, May 2011, August 2011
2. Guinness World Records
3. DN Journal
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe for updates (it's free)
Leave a Reply
Comments should be respectful and on-topic. Read our full comment policy (opens in new window). Comments may be moderated; if not posted immediately, it is awaiting review and will be posted soon.
Free "$12,750 Profit" eBook. Click Here.