As a domain name entrepreneur or investor, you will undoubtedly want to set up a website at some point to learn about development, develop a proof of concept and/or understand search engine optimization — and do it with little risk.
But why stop with a single website? Setting up WordPress Multisite will allow you to test many websites at once, and add more websites as your needs grow. And you can do it for under $25 a year for hosting, with as many domain names as you like.
This video walks you through exactly what you need to do to sign up for a hosting account, set up WordPress, activate multisite, and add a different domain name per website.
In this video, you will learn:
- Using WordPress Multisite Overview (4:00)
- Why WordPress? (4:28)
- When to Use and When Not to Use WordPress Multisite? (6:30)
- How to Choose a WordPress Hosting Service for Multisite-Driven Websites? (8:30)
- Sign Up at DomainServers.com for Hosting Service (10:28)
- Set Your Domain Name Name Servers (10:40)
- Install WordPress (11:00)
- Allow WordPress Multisite (12:10)
- FTP Files With FileZilla (12:45)
- TextWrangler for Editing (13:20)
- Create a Network (14:15)
- Install WordPress MU Domain Mapping Plugin (17:12)
- Point Some Domain Names (20:40)
- Map Domains at WordPress (22:25)
- Testing Multiple Domain Names on WordPress Multisite (23:30)
Your DomainSherpa Interview
(Can’t see the video above? Go to DomainSherpa.com)
This interview is promoted through a media partnership with Domaining.com.
If you like this program, please share it on Twitter (click here – opens in new window)
Mentioned in this interview:
• WordPress Codes: Create a Network
• WordPress MU Domain Mapping Plugin
• FileZilla FTP Software (Free)
• TextWrangler Text Editor (Free, Any Text Editor Works)
Editor’s Note: When Michael Cyger mentioned he was paying $12 per year for shared hosting at DomainingServers.com, it was using a special promotional code offered in July 2011. The pricing per year at the time of this video production is $23.40. UPDATE: Check the comments below for a very generous offer from Andrei, the owner of DomainingServers.com.
Your DomainSherpa Interview, Audio Only
Michael Cyger is an entrepreneur, businessman, investor, speaker and author. He is also the publisher of DomainSherpa.com.
Sponsors of DomainSherpa
David E. Weslow, Attorney at Law provides legal representation for clients ranging from individuals to Fortune 500 companies in relation to domain name transactions and disputes, trademark and copyright claims, and web hosting and content liability issues. A former software and web developer, he regularly assists clients with cutting-edge issues involving law and technology.
DNForum.com – The Place to Talk Domains. Not only is it the largest domain name forum in the world, but it is the best. You can learn about domain names and the industry, buy and sell domain names, talk about domain name news, and meet other domainers like you. Register today for a FREE DNForum account and begin advancing your skills and knowledge today.
Estibot.com – Domain Name Valuation and Productivity Tools. Value domain names you want to buy or sell, evaluate drop lists quickly and efficiently, and use the lead generator tool to contact potential buyers using saved templates and an automated email process. It will increase your accuracy and productivity by magnitudes.
What Do You Think?
Was this video tutorial?
- Too technical?
- Too short/long?
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe for updates (it's free)