On December 27, 2010, Go Daddy (www.godaddy.com) sent out an informal notice announcing that they had registered their 45 millionth domain name.
The actual day and time of number 45 million occurred on December 26, 2010, at 6:02 p.m. Mountain Standard Time. According to Bob Parson’s keynote address at the 2010 Go Daddy holiday party on December 11, 2010, Go Daddy registers a new domain name registered every 8/10th of a second.
If Go Daddy wasn’t already the #1 domain name registrar in the world, this might be the event that would put them over the top.
Go Daddy’s famously risque advertisements and Super Bowl commercials always draw lots of attention. Most recently, Go Daddy threw a holiday party at Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks, with attendance exceeding 4,000 people, including employees and their dates. At the event — featuring singer Jewel.
A few of Bob Parson’s take-aways from the 2010 Holiday Party at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona on December 11, 2010.
What happens in a Go Daddy Minute every day:
- 43 customers call the Go Daddy call center
- 13 email or forwarding accounts are set up
- They issue 1 SSL certificate
- 2 hosting accounts are sold
- 30 URLs are shortened with Go Daddy’s x.co shortener
- 75 domains names are registered, transferred or renewed
- Has a 50% market share on new domain names
- Is larger than the next 8 registrars combined
- Is the largest web hosting provider, “by a long shot”
- Is the largest issuer of SSL certificates
Highlights from Go Daddy’s 2010 Holiday Party at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona on December 11, 2010.
Jewel performing a song she wrote for Go Daddy at the 2010 Holiday Party at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona on December 11, 2010.