VeriSign provides statistical data and analytical research on the domain name industry every quarter year.
Highlights from the February 2010 Domain Name Industry Brief:
- More than 41,000 new domain names were added each day, on average, in the last quarter of 2009. That’s 28.5 new domain names registered per minute.
- Domain names have grown 7% in one year; registrations have grown by 13.3 million.
- The third quarter of 2010 closed with a global base of almost 202 million domain name registrations across all TLDs. That was a 2% increase over the second quarter, which means about 3.8 million new domain names were added in just three months. In other words, on average for each day for the last quarter, more than 41,300 new names were added.
- Online ad revenue in the U.S. is expected to reach $25 billion in 2010, according to reports from the Interactive Advertising Bureau.
- The combined base of .com and .net domain names topped 103 million. New .com and .net registrations totaled 7.5 million during the third quarter of 2009, an increase of 7 % from a year ago.
- VeriSign estimates that 88% of .com and .net domain names have a live website with actual content.
- The base of Country Code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs) was 79.2 million domain names, a 2.4% increase from a year ago.
Read the full VeriSign Report:
Verisign Domain Name Report February 2010